Saturday, September 02, 2006

Food Fishery, Newfoundland and Labrador

Many people in Newfoundland and Labrador participated in the Food Fishery in August. The photos today were taken in Trinity last week and show a man cleaning and splitting a few cod that he and his family had caught in Trinity Bay that day. Two young boys watch the entire process. I remember visiting Winterton, Trinity Bay, when I was a young boy and spending hours watching fishermen splitting their catch. Too bad I didn't get photos of that!

This was the first food fishery for a while and people were happy to be able to catch a few cod for their tables. This fishery is now closed and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is evaluating the results. I have spoken to fishermen in several communities and most were able to get their quota of 5 fish per person per day. Apparently earlier in August, it was a little harder to catch fish, but nearer the end of August they seemed more plentiful.

If anyone on this list who went fishing for cod during August would like to share their experiences, please feel free to send me an email with a description and/or photos. I will have a student at Mary Queen of Peace create a web site showing the results if there is enough response. Send emails to blane@lanephotography.com.




No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...