Saturday, February 03, 2007

Icebergs, Conception Bay

The two photos today were scanned from slides I took back in the late 1980's and early 1990s.

The first one shows a small portion of a huge iceberg that stayed in Conception Bay for several weeks. I was quite far away and captured the close up with my 500 mm lens (stolen from my car not too long afterwards). You can see a boat near the iceberg which will give you a reference for determining the size of the iceberg. I heard estimates at the time that it was over 120 feet at it's highest point. As I said, it was huge.


The second photo shows a couple of boats fishing near an iceberg. The photo was taken after the iceberg had broken apart a few times so, even though it is still quite large, it is only a small piece of the original.

Possibly because of global warming and a combination of warmer weather and high winds, we haven't seen icebergs in this area in 3 years. One has had to make a trek to the Great Northern Peninsula or Labrador to find icebergs over the past few years.

If you like icebergs, my son and I created a DVD entitled: Icebergs: Discovering Newfoundland and Labrador Volume 1. If you are interested go to
http://newlabphoto.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=28 to order on line.


No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...