Monday, May 14, 2007

Brown Pelican

Brown Pelicans are excellent fliers. They soar through the air, sometimes barely moving their wings. I especially like watching them soar close to the surface of the ocean.

One day while walking on Bonita beach, I saw a lone pelican dive for a fish. As I approached it, I noticed that it would take off, fly a short distance, circle, then dive straight into the water with wings still outstretched. I know that birds are creatures of habit, so when I reached the bird I was waiting for it to follow the same pattern. I was not disappointed and photographed the pelican as it dove into the ocean for a meal of fish.

The three photos today show one of these sequences. I took photos as it dived, but had no idea what I was capturing because it happened so fast. Until I downloaded the photos from my camera, I wasn't sure if I captured the pelican or not.

Of course, I am also a creature of habit. I followed the pelican for a while and took many photos of the pelican's dives. I will make a new gallery and post them on my web site. It probably won't be for a couple of weeks because I am extremely busy.






No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...