Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fungus?

A couple of days ago, I noticed a strange looking growth on a small patch of caribou moss growing on a bog in the woods behind my house. At first, I thought it was just a different colour, but on closer examination, I noticed that it is a growth of some sort. I assume it is a fungus similar to witches butter.

The first photo shows the caribou moss (whitish) with the orange fungus growing in a small area. (3 - 4 inches). The second photo shows that the fungus is growing on the green leaves as well. The third photo shows the texture and how it is overtaking the leaves as well as the moss.

In all my walks this summer, I have only seen this one small patch. If anyone on this list is familiar with this organism, I'd like to know more.





No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...