Thursday, September 06, 2007

Narwhal

Narwhals are very rare around the island of Newfoundland, but in 2003, on four of several of iceberg photo shoots in Conception Bay, I had opportunities to photograph one at fairly close range. I was told this was only the 6th sighting of a narwhal this far south.

I am sharing three photos this morning. The first shows the narwhal surfacing near ice that had broken off a nearby iceberg. The second one was taken as the narwhal stopped and floated in the water near the boat. (I thought it was looking at me). The third photo was taken as it came up for air right next to the boat. The white tusk is a distinguishing feature of this whale.

I have 3 Narwhal Galleries on line ...
http://www.lanephotography.com/whales/narwhale2.htm





No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...