Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Results of Vote / Interesting Comments

I decided to send out the results of the survey tonight. As you can see below, the voting was very close. I have included comments from people who responded with an explanation of why they chose the ones they did. I found the comments to be very interesting and all made good points.

My preference is not included in the count. I prefer the horizontal image because it keeps my attention longer. Since the window is slightly out of focus and the lilacs are in focus and overlap the window, my attention seems to be kept there. I agree with the person who observed that there was a bit of mystery to it.

Vertical - 16 Horizontal 15

Vertical (16)


  • More character, in my opinion. It caught my fancy right away!!
  • I like the vertical but not sure why
  • Since the intended subject was the window, I think that the vertical draws the viewer to the window, the window "speaks louder" whereas as the horizontal pic seems to find me seeing more of the plant.
  • The flowers seem to form a border for the window.
  • Normally I would prefer the horizontal photo, but in these photos I like the vertical shot better, because the plants seem to lead us up to the window.
  • This one is a picture of the lovely window. The other is a picture of the lilac.
    The vertical picture allows the viewer to see more of the window.
  • I prefer the vertical shot of your window because of the way the lilacs "frame" the window making it the focal point of the picture.
  • I favor the one on top because the center of attention is clearly the window. The bottom picture is confusing because neither the bush or the window is predominant
    that was a hard choice!!!


Horizontal (15)



  • ITS REALLY A HARD CHOICE AND NOT TOO CLEAR CUT. ON THE HORIZONTAL THE FLOWERS ARE NICE AND CLEAR, AND MY ATTENTION IS DRAWN TO THEM, THE WINDOW JUST BECOMES BACKGROUND FOR ME. ON THE VERTICAL PICTURE MY ATTENTION IS DRAWN TO THE WINDOW RATHER THAN THE FLOWERS AND THAT’S NICE ALSO.........HERE I GET THE FEELING THAT ONE IS LOOKING OUT TO SEA WAITING FOR THE SHIP TO APPEAR...........SO GUESS THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT IT DEPENDS ON MY MODE AT THE TIME (smile).....
  • There is much more interest in the horizontal; more artsy, more angles, and I love the way it plays with your eye.
  • The first picture is lovely & shows lots of lilac blossoms. The second photo, however, gives an illusion that the flowers are also growing inside the window. (lower right) In the first picture the flowers enhance the window. In the second .... the window enhances the flowers. I would have to pick the second picture as my favorite
  • ... has a bit of mystery to it, the flowers are in focus, letting you wonder what's beyond them.
    I prefer this one because of the larger expanse of lilac branches that add an interesting effect to the photo.
  • I prefer the horizontal photo because the juxtaposition of the flowers and the window makes it more interesting than the vertical shot.
  • I like the second photo, can almost smell the lilacs......................mmmmmm
  • I prefer the horizontal because the flowers cover more of the window. It's like peeking into a window through the flowers more so than the vertical.
  • I'm not sure why, but I like the horizontal. Maybe because the plant seems to be more the focus but the window is not quite so in focus but is still a nice backdrop.
  • I was really torn. The vertical pleased my sense of the orderly perfect composition but the horizontal felt more like thinking out of the box...it was not what I would expect but I liked it. It sort of jarred me...The window called for a vertical shot but this made me look thoroughly at the composition .I think that was it. The vertical was a pleasing but garnered only a cursory glance but the horizontal stopped me, in my tracks.
  • IT'S CLOSER
  • I like the horizontal because the photo seems to more about the flowers and the window as a background and no roof showing which to me wouldn't add anything to the picture.Whereas the vertical seems to focus on the window as the main subject with a lot of roof showing.
    .....it depends on the subject the viewer is looking at. I love the lilac trees, that is the focal point to me. It's a wider view of the lilacs and the beautiful window...


OTHERS

  • can't choose I like both
  • My husband likes the vertical and I like the horizontal

No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...