Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Snowshoe Hare

Many people wondered about the animal that made the tracks in the photos I sent out yesterday. Today, I am sharing three photos of snowshoe hare.

The first shows a hare snuggled up under in the moss on the forest floor. I use this photo to talk to our students about camouflage.

The second was taken from my bathroom window. It was spring and the hare was eating the fresh green shoots of grass that were beginning to grow in our yard. You can see that it is fairly alert. You can't see it in this photo but one of my cats was sneaking up on the hare as I took this photo. I think the hare was aware it was being stalked.

I saw the hare in the third photo hiding under the grasses. It was less than 8 feet away, and I didn't see it until it hopped into view.

If you would like to read more, or find out how it makes its tracks, go to:
http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=103&cid=8




1 comment:

bearkat said...

hi bruce...awwwwwww.....my sister nicky aka biplanechik also gets your blog...and we both had to agree, that while we enjoy the pictures....we have fun reading your comments!!!...thanks and have a good day!! :)

People

People It's been a while since I shared photos of people going about their daily activities, but I'll add more photos to my People 4...