Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mystery Photo


After sending the second photo yesterday, a few people guessed that the mystery photo was snow. I thought it would be very easy to guess, so I added the orange just to see if I could make it a little harder. I guess I made it too hard.

The strange texture in the snow caught my attention during a recent snowshoe hike so I stopped to photograph it. The first photo shows the snow around it. You can see that a snowmobile had passed by here recently, but whatever was causing the texture extended onto the tracks. I looked around but didn't see any other areas with this texture.




When I looked closer it looked like the snow was being heated from below. Since I was in a boggy area, I assumed there must be a wet area underneath the snow that was not frozen. I pushed my walking stick through the snow and it was totally wet.



A little further on I saw several large depressions in the snow, all with the same texture. I walked over this area with care because there was probably moving water underneath.
The final photo shows a few of the depressions that have "melted" into the warmer water beneath the snow.


I can understand why many of you made the guesses you did. I am adding the answers to let you know what people perceived the photo to be.


Some of the guesses:
  • top of a mushroom
  • Macro of a mushroom cap
  • sand
  • my first thought was sand..then snow..but taking another look at it....could be dough rising too!!!
  • skin of an orange or pumpkin
  • a really fine powder, with some sort of imprint. Cinnamon maybe
  • Bakeapple
  • Crop of a cloud at sunset/rise
  • Sand ... trap door spider
  • chamois (used to dry off your automobile and so on)
  • Flower petal
  • an orange
  • I THINK IT'S A MUSHROOM
  • water eddying to a hole
  • Looks like a spoon full of coco Or coffee
  • Human skin
  • Bread dough
  • 'wilting petal' of a flower
  • A YELLOW DAISY OR MAYBE A SAND PIKE
  • fruit-peach
  • My initial guess would be a pumpkin
  • a (person's) dimple? Others: skin on a peach? A flower petal?
  • mushroom or fungus
  • fur of an animal
  • I am guessing a peach......if not a peach, I am thinking a piece of fruit
  • It looks like the dimple on your elbow or knee when the arm or leg is not bent. Is that a close guess? It looks like skin.
  • a center of a peach
  • It looks like snow to me
  • Fur on an animal or skin of a human
  • My guess is sugar
  • A swarm of fish
  • I think it may be drifting snow
  • now that really is looking like dough
  • It might me someone's skin
  • Cloud formation?
  • a ball of yeast dough?
  • A spot in some fresh snow which had just fallen over a previous footprint or animal print
  • it looks like flour on a pastry board that someone has softly blown into!?
  • Snow
  • Skin on the human body
  • A close up of pet fur
  • The first thing that jumped into my head was a spider egg
  • Would it be flour
  • snow
  • snow
  • A close up shot of the hard shell of a fruit stone, from the inside of such as a plum or peach.
  • I did think sand but that is too obvious.
  • Cloud formation
  • Memory Foam???
  • snow
  • Looks like fabric, fur, a towel
  • I'm thinking clouds on a gloomy day...
  • a jelly fish
  • sand
  • Dough

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...