Saturday, April 04, 2009

Pool's Island Church





This morning I am sharing three photos taken in a church on Pool's Island. I believe this is St. James Anglican Church which was built in 1862. When I photograph communities, I photograph the interior of churches if they are unlocked. In recent years most churches tend to be locked.

The first photo shows the door with its interesting hinges. The second is looking towards the front of the church and shows the interesting style of architecture. The stairs lead to the extra seating in the balcony. This church is relatively big for a small community. I assume it served people from surrounding communities and in the early days most people from outside the community came by boat from nearby towns and islands in Bonavista Bay. Candles are common in all churches that I visit and I usually photograph them.




No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...