Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sea Ice







I will continue my tour of the Loop later, but today I wanted to share a few photos of the sea ice that was blown into Holyrood harbour on Sunday. We've had northerly winds for several days and the ice, which was 50 miles off shore has filled bays and harbours on the east coast of the island of Newfoundland.

This morning I am sharing three wide views showing the extent of the ice. This ice has been carried south from Labrador and Northern Newfoundland by the Labrador Current. When wind blow onshore, as it has been, the ice ends up in the harbours. When the wind changes, the ice is carried back to sea.

The first image was taken on Sunday and shows a view of the entrance to Holyrood harbour with the approaching ice coming in Conception Bay. The other photos were taken on Holyrood beach on Monday.


No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...