Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ants






A couple of years ago I was photographing dandelions in the late May when a few ants caught my attention. I observed and photographed them as they searched for food deep within the yellow flowers.

The first photo shows one ant carrying an insect and another that seemed to stop and communicate with it. I wondered if one would help the other, but the second one went down into the blossom. A few seconds later, an ant came up struggling with two insects then left one behind and started back to its nest with the other. Shortly afterwards another ant took the fly that had been left behind. It was very interesting drama taking place in a single flower. Imagine all that happens on this planet that we are not even aware of.

When shooting macro images, you have to be close to the subject giving a very shallow depth of field. making it difficult to get everything in focus. In this case the subjects are also moving which makes it difficult to maintain focus.

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...