Friday, November 27, 2009

Fishing Stages



In 2004, I photographed Twillingate and surrounding towns. Over the next few days I plan to share a few photos from that trip. As most of you know, I have been photographing fishing stages in communities around Newfoundland and Labrador for nearly 40 years.

The dictionary of Newfoundland defines fishing stage as: An elevated platform on the shore with working tables, sheds, etc, where fish are landed and processed for salting and drying, and fishing gear and supplies are stored;

In some communities stages have been neglected and are falling into the sea, while others are well-maintained. I photograph them regardless of condition and am sure while I am scanning my old slides that I will see changes in communities that I have visited more than once over the years. What always amazes me is that these structures are not easily destroyed by wind, waves, tides and ice.


No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...