Monday, February 15, 2010

Seagulls in Flight






I have been photographing seagulls since I created a slide show about the subject in 1982. I remember showing the Seagulls slide show to a photographer friend who commented that I must have LOTS of out of focus slides sitting around somewhere. He knew what happens when you try to photograph moving objects. Of course, with a digital camera, I can shoot many more images at no extra cost, so my seagull collection has grown considerably since going digital.

Today's images were made in Brigus in 2004 as I sat eating my lunch on the beach. I assumed the seagulls were used to people feeding them because they would fly fairly close, hover as well as they can, then fly off. Of course, as soon as I realized they were almost hovering overhead, I got my camera and started to shoot with my 14- 70 mm lens. Yes, they were so close I needed a wide angle lens. The images shown today were cropped from wider views.

Because seagulls are so common in this part of the world, we tend to take them for granted. However, I still photograph them often, even though I see them nearly every day and have hundreds, if not thousands of images of them already!

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...