Sunday, March 14, 2010

Purple Finch






Thanks for the comments on the flower images, as I said yesterday, I will definitely return to that theme again!

I originally photographed the quote I shared yeaterday on a sign in the Salmonier Nature Park, here in Newfoundland, many years ago. The environmentalist was Aldo Leopold. However, yesterday when I searched for the quote, it took me to a few things I had uploaded to the Internet nearly 15 years ago. :) I have used the quote many times over the years.

For the next few days I plan to share photos of birds that I attracted to our bird feeders in winter. I stop feeding the birds when the weather warms up because my cats are out and about making it too dangerous for the birds.

The male purple finch is a beautiful reddish colour and easy to spot in the trees. This is the third winter I've fed birds since we moved to our new house, but haven't seen many purple finches at all. One morning this winter I heard a few singing and spotted them high in the trees, but they didn't stay around.

I use three bird identification books to help identify the birds I photograph:

  1. A Field Guide to the Birds: A completely New Guide to all the Birds of Eastern and Central North America, Roger Tory Peterson
  2. Stokes Field Guide to Birds, Donald and Lillian Stokes
  3. Birds of Atlantic, Roger Burrows

No comments:

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel In May 2016, my wife and I had a pleasurable stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta. Of cou...