Friday, March 19, 2010

Winter Birds


For the last in this series of Winter Birds, I have chosen to share photos of three species that were feeding in front of my house. Keep in mind that all photos in this series were taken the same morning in a 5 minute time span. Making the photos was a lot of fun and I hope everyone has been enjoying the photos of birds that winter in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The first image shows an American Goldfinch in the process of breaking a sunflower seed. I have only seen this species in 2 of the 28 years I have lived in Holyrood. One Common Redpoll started to flap its wings just as I took the photo and the other shows a side view of a female eating a seed. The last two photos show pine siskins that were also enjoying the sunflower seeds that I put out for them earlier that morning.

For those of you who haven't seen birds of these species, they all are the same size, approximately 5". It is difficult to tell their sizes in these photos because there are no reference points with which to compare them.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...