Saturday, April 24, 2010

Osprey







I have photographed ospreys in Florida, Nova Scotia and here in Newfoundland and Labrador. I often see them flying over my house, but because of the trees, they are not in view for long. I find it interesting that this species of birds live all over the world, in just about any habitat where there is a steady supply of fish. Today's photos were taken within seconds of each other as the osprey circled overhead during one of my walks in Florida.

I used my 70-300mm lens at maximum zoom, then cropped for closer views. This particular bird was circling a small pond and I had to follow it as it soared overhead, compose the shot, and shoot at the same time. My camera shoots 3 images per second and I was shooting as fast as I could. I was pleased with the results - the lighting was good and most of the shots were in focus.

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...