Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spring 4






The pitcher plant is the official plant of Newfoundland and Labrador and there are many of them growing on the bogs and open areas along my hiking trail. As you can see from the photos, after the snow melted the deep wine colour was easy to spot. I have mentioned this in the past, but should remind viewers that this plant is a "meat-eater" and gets nutrients from insects that get trapped in the "pitchers" at the base of the plant.

To make the first photograph, I looked nearly straight down to capture the leaves and rotting stalk of last years plant. I zoomed in to get rid of distractions in the second image and you will notice the dominant red colour with rotting stalks. The third shows a little more of the plants around it. I believe the leaves will survive and change colour when the flower begins to grow again. I have photographed these plants in all seasons and have a Pitcher Plant Gallery on line at: http://www.lanephotography.com/pitcher_plant/pitcher.htm. I have also uploaded photos of the pitcher plant to my Blog on 10 different occasions. Just search my Blog for pitcher plant to see those images.

No comments:

Churches

Churches I am presently adding photos to my Churches 3 Facebook album on my Communities and Culture Page. Wherever I go, I photograph church...