Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring 5






From the top of the mountain, I can see the Town of Holyrood and Conception Bay. In the first photo I am looking towards the North and the entire harbour is visible. I photographed the scene with a part of the mountain in the frame as I was climbing to the best location. Of course, the top of the hill provided the best view and I took several different angles. The third photo shows Main Beach Pond and Big Gully (further away) and the Salmonier line, where I live. I think the total distance from my house to the mountain in about 1.5 miles, but it is all uphill and still a good workout.

Even though the signs of Spring aren't obvious in these photos, I wanted you to see what the landscape looked like on April 4, 2010 here in this part of Canada. It is unusual for all the snow to be gone this early, and for warm days (as high as 20°C - 60°F). There aren't too many years I would be able to explore the highest plateau this early. Usually the winds would be too cold and uncomfortable to stay up there in the open for very long.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...