Sunday, April 04, 2010

Stained Glass 3 - Easter









Today's images show stained glass windows that depict the Resurrection, which according to Christian Theology, is the message of Easter. Several artists decided to show Christ walking from the tomb, but another shows Thomas, who doubted that the resurrected person was Christ, putting his fingers into the wound on Jesus' side. Others show the wounds on his hands or feet.

Stained glass windows are always interesting to photograph, especially when the lighting is right. The colours created as the light passes through the many different pieces of coloured glass are very beautiful and add to the peace and quiet of a church. I have often been making photographs inside a church when people are sitting quietly, possibly praying or reflecting on their lives, and I feel that I may be distracting them by moving around with a tripod and camera. As a result, I feel more inhibited than when in an empty church building.

This is the last in the series of Stained Glass Windows theme, for a while. One person wondered who the artists are, but I have no idea who they may be.

I hope no one is offended by my observation that over the last several years, Easter seems to becoming more and more commercialized - not as "extreme" as Christmas, but the pressure to give gifts at Easter is growing yearly. Is it coming from advertising in the various media? Is it just me, or have others on this list noticed it as well?

1 comment:

Laura Goff said...

Great photos. I like to see how other artists interpret the different Biblical scenes. Thanks for posting them.

Laura Goff Parham
State of the Art, Inc
Stained Glass Studio
http://www.sotaglass.com/

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel In May 2016, my wife and I had a pleasurable stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta. Of cou...