Friday, April 02, 2010

Stained Glass






In 2004, I was working on a large project that included photographing the exterior and interior of churches. Over a two year period, my son, Mark, and I photographed 165 churches in Newfoundland and Labrador. I also photographed churches in Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan and Florida. In fact, I photographed Good Friday and Easter Sunday services in Florida that year.

Many churches have beautiful stained glass windows which tell stories of religious figures and I have chosen images from the RC church in Grand Falls, Newfoundland and Labrador that show part of the Good Friday story. This is a common theme shown in stained glass in Roman Catholic churches in this province. I read that the reason stained glass windows were so important because they told religious stories in pictures and back in the middle ages, before books were common and most people couldn't read, people learned Bible stories through these images.

Since going "digital", I continue to photograph stained glass windows whenever I stop into a church to make photographs. When the lighting is good, I really like the saturated colours of the windows. I have a large collection of beautiful and artistic church windows and will share them from time to time.

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...