Saturday, June 05, 2010

Plants





Add Image

I am happy so many of you enjoyed the tulip photos yesterday. This morning I chose a selection of plants that I have taken over the years and were recently scanned from slides.

The first are tiny yellow tulips that I photographed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1978. They were growing along the side of the road my brother lived on at the time. They appeared to be growing wild since there were no houses nearby. Because the flowers were bright, the background appeared much darker than I expected, but I really liked the effect.

My wife and I visited her aunt in Toronto in 1972 and she was growing tiger lilies in her backyard. This photo was the only one I took of these beautiful flowers which I had never photographed before that time. Of course I have seen and photographed tiger lilies often since then.

The single plant growing in a sandy beach on Fogo Island caught my attention when I visited there in 1984. I lay on the sand to make this image, which shows the harsh environment in which the plant was growing.

The pitcher plant growing among the grasses was one of my favourite photos of the official flower of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador for a long time. I have many images of these flowers in my collection and have shared many with you on my Photo of the Day. I once used this image in a futuristic image of a planet and it made a very interesting surface when wrapped around a sphere.

I liked the way the light highlighted the flowers on the tip of a reed of timothy grass that was growing in my yard in Holyrood. I have to admit that I used to let a patch or two grow (by mowing around them) just to make photographs every year. I really like the tall grasses that grow wild around here.

No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...