Saturday, August 28, 2010

Red Currants








On July 7, I posted images of red currants that I had taken in Tangled Garden, Nova Scotia a few days earlier. I was amazed that the red currants were ripe that early. (You can see the photos on my Blog.)

This morning I am sharing photos I made on August 25 of the berries on my red currant bush. The ripe berries are approximately 8 weeks behind those in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia. We had a very wet and cool spring, and that may be a contributing factor. As well, this was a new red currant bush that I planted on June 8 this year. I will keep a photographic record of its growth and observe when berries ripen each year.

My grandparents in Grand Falls had red currant bushes and I remember picking, and eating, the berries during the summer. My grandmother always made red currant jelly, which I will try in a year or so. There are only enough berries this year to have a tasty snack!

To make these photos, I used my new 70-300 mm lens and sat on the ground about 5 or 6 feet away. The first image was taken at maximum zoom focusing on the few closest berries causing those behind it to be completely out of focus. The fourth and fifth images were cropped from wider views and you will notice that most of the berries are in focus. The last photo was taken at minimum zoom (70 mm) and the whole bush is in focus.


In this series you can see how changing the focal length on a zoom lens changes the resulting images.

No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...