Sunday, September 05, 2010

Black-Eyed Susans






I photographed the interesting sky last evening and will share them with you at a later date. This morning I chose photos of black-eyed susans that are blooming in my yard. This year, we purchased 3 varieties - a red, a yellow and a mixture and planted them side-by side. They all bloomed, but the golden yellow certainly stand out against the greenery in the background.

These are very beautiful plants, but our cats, or other animals, have been breaking off the stems. Unfortunately we will have to live with that since we live in the forest. They are perennials and hopefully they will return again next year.

Last year we had a different variety of black-eyed susans (see
http://kbrucelane.blogspot.com/search?q=black-eyed ) and I collected seeds in the fall and planted them in several places in my yard. However, none of them grew this year. I will collect seeds from these as well and try saving the seeds until next spring.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...