Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Butterflies






Butterflies are beautiful, delicate, little creatures that I photograph every chance I get. I don't have a lot of images in my collection and I don't know many species so have to try to identify them from photos online.

The first photo shows a mangrove buckeye. The butterflies online show much brighter colours than the ones I photographed. It may be because they are different genders, or it may be the time of the year. If anyone knows the reason, I would appreciate the answer.

I was photographing a white butterfly that had just landed on a flower when a second one flew into the scene. Of course I took a couple of quick photos before they separated again. I thought these were cabbage butterflies like those we see around here during the summer, but after looking online I think they may be Florida whites. Again, if anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

The bright yellow butterfly may be a cloudless sulphur which is attracted to red flowers. I photographed those in Manatee Park, which has a garden with plants that attracts butterflies.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...