Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ferryland - 1981





I have visited Ferryland often since moving to the Avalon Peninsula in 1981. Today's photos were taken on a walk to the lighthouse back then. I remember that the lighthouse was in need of maintenance, but it was open and my wife, two boys and I climbed to the top and had a great view. I believe this was before archaeologists began excavating the Colony of Avalon in earnest. There were minor digs previous to the mid-80s but since then there have been extensive digging in the area.

I don't know the people in the fourth photo and, to be honest, had forgotten there were other people there that day until I scanned the slide. My photos have etched memories into my being and because I see them from time to time, they keep the memories fresh. I guess I hadn't seen this slide for quite a while. :)

The interesting thing about today's photos is that there isn't a lot of differences in today's images of the land around the Town of Ferryland. Unless man-made structures are visible, or have disappeared from the landscape, there is little change is some areas. In others, trees and plants have grown making huge differences.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...