Monday, January 24, 2011

Trouty - 1982






During Hurricane Igor the Town of Trouty was all but wiped out by the raging water running through the community. Today's photos, taken in the summer of 1982 , show a peaceful village with a small river running through it.

The first photo shows my son Mark walking along a small path that led to the house that was closest to the ocean. In the second photo you can see a narrowing of the river and can probably imagine how much water flowed through there after 240 mm (8 inches) fell in the area in less than 24 hours. Roads and bridges were washed away as well.

I spoke to a friend who had been out that way soon after the hurricane who said that all the buildings along the river were destroyed, but I have not seen the town since then so I can not verify it for you. In any event, today's photos certainly show a different community than stands there today compared to 30 years ago.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...