Saturday, January 08, 2011

Turkey Vultures in Flight





One nice afternoon in Citrus Park I looked out and saw quite a few vultures circling around and around in the sky. I remember seeing vultures or "buzzards" in the western movies I watched as a kid. It was always a sign that something was dead. That was certainly the case that day.

Since it didn't look far away I grabbed my camera, jumped aboard my friend's golf cart and headed out to make images of vultures before they dispersed. As soon as I got there I saw several vultures on the ground so I knew there was something dead and that the large birds would not go too far.

All but one bird took off and started flying above me. I took quite a few images of the vultures as they circled just overhead. I used my 70-300 mm lens for this sequence and took several images as I quickly panned the camera trying to keep the bird both in the frame and in focus. As you can imagine I had several rejects.

I really enjoy watching vultures in flight as they soar on thermals circling and flying so high they almost disappear from sight. I was happy to be so close to a group of them and be able to get lots of photos of them in flight.

I think these are all turkey vultures because they have reddish heads. I didn't realize it until I downloaded the photos after I got back from Florida, but the birds were actually looking at me as they flew by. As well, I didn't notice that in one photo there were two birds flying in the same direction at the same angle but at different heights.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...