Monday, March 21, 2011

D - Ducks





Add Image

D - Ducks

Just a reminder that the current Alphabetical Series is composed of photos that I have already scanned from slides. At this point, I am not sure I'll be able to do every letter of the alphabet with scanned images, but I will certainly try.

When we moved to Holyrood in 1982, the people who were living there had left one of their hens because it had flown into the trees and they couldn't catch it. We got used to it so the next summer I purchased 8 hens and a 4 ducks, Pekin ducks to be exact. We kept them in small pens and they overwintered without incident. I built a shed the following summer and that became their new home.

Once the birds matured we had a steady supply of eggs. I really liked the duck eggs and my wife used them when she baked but there was no way we could eat all that the birds produced. After a few years, roaming dogs started killing them, which was hard on the kids, so we gave up keeping hens and ducks. To be honest, they weren't a lot of work and they were interesting to have around.

One of the ducks was a male and the second year the females started building nests around the property and they produced quite a few ducklings, whose photos I am sharing today, nearly thirty years later.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...