Sunday, April 03, 2011

Q - Quidi Vidi

Publish Post

Q - Quidi Vidi

This morning I chose photo taken in Quidi Vidi Village, located in the city of St. John's, in 1982. I lived around 10 minutes walk from this picturesque little harbour and often got up before dawn to make images of sunrises. Today's photos are in the order they were taken.

A small fishing boat headed out as the sun rose behind bands of fog and clouds in the distance and I was lucky to get this shot. I decided that it would be better to move back to include more of the village which I knew would be silhouetted. I shot wider and closer views as the sun rose. I think the star effect in the second photo is natural and occurred when the light from the sun was just peeking above the clouds. I owned a cross-star filter at the time but it had 4 points whereas this one has six.

In the third image I was looking directly towards the sun, which can be dangerous. I try to frame the shot as quickly as possible, then close my eye or glance away to shoot. This photo was taken with a telephoto lens and because the sun is so bright everything else in the image is dark.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...