Thursday, May 05, 2011

Cape Spear Lighthouse






Cape Spear Lighthouse

Cape Spear, a short drive from St. John's, is the most easterly point in North America is a National Historic Site and there are two lighthouses located there which are maintained by Parks Canada. This morning I am sharing photos of the oldest surviving lighthouse in Newfoundland and Labrador. It was built in 1839 and today there is an interpretation centre in the building that shows how lighthouse keepers lived in the mid-nineteenth century. Today's photos were taken during different visits to Cape Spear.

The first photo was taken as the sun rose creating a reddish light on the hills and lighthouse. I was below the cliffs looking up towards the lighthouse to capture this image. The second image shows the lighthouse atop the steep cliff. You can understand why there is a fence to ensure people don't get too close to the edge. The third was taken as I walked towards the older lighthouse. I liked the lines and lighting on the fence and composed the shot so your eyes would first follow the fence then stop at the lighthouse in the background. On another trip I tried a similar composition with different lighting on the fence. The fifth image shows part of the lighthouse with the fence and you can see the top of the other lighthouse in the distance.

Someone emailed me a while ago and said that people outside the province would think that because of my photos we always had sunny days with blue skies here in Newfoundland and Labrador, but the last photo shows the lighthouse shrouded in fog. I've been at Cape Spear when one minute it was sunny and hot and the fog rolled in within minutes making it foggy and cold. The weather can literally change that fast in this part of the world.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...