Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pompeii 1













Pompeii 1

Since I was a school kid I have heard about Pompeii and how it was covered in ash from Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD so when the opportunity arose, that was the tour I wanted to take. The tour began with a short description and demonstration of an artist creating cameos from a sea shell in a jewellery factory and store located just outside the Roman ruins.

The first photo shows the cameo as the artisan took a second to view his work. There are a couple more photos of the gentleman who was working on this particular piece. Thiugh on a much smaller scale, I realized that cameos are sculptures made of sea shells instead of marble. After the demonstration was finished everyone had a chance to view the items in their store. These items included beautiful cameos of all shapes and sizes, chess boards and pieces, lamps and many other items. I made a few photos of the chess pieces and uploaded a couple more to my Blog this morning.

I haven't mentioned it before, but in a few places I visited it was apparent that Europeans displayed art that here in North America may not be considered appropriate, especially where there may be children. The art in the third photo was on the ceiling of the cameo factory and I thought it was beautiful. I don't think many people noticed it until I started making a few photos. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any details about the artist but, if you like the work, I've uploaded a couple more to my Blog.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...