Monday, August 01, 2011

Pompeii 6














Pompeii 6

This is the last in my Pompeii series. I hope you have enjoyed seeing images of this interesting archaeological dig that shows how Romans lived at the height of the Roman Empire.

The first photo shows a typical street scene paved with large rounded boulders and a sidewalk on each side of the road. The second image shows a young boy walking across a "crosswalk" which is made of large rocks the same height as the sidewalk. Apparently when it rained, water flowed down the streets like a brook, so the people didn't have to get their feet wet when walking across a street. The third scene shows the remnants of an ancient temple.

The tour to Pompeii was relatively short - around 4 hours including the bus ride to and from the ship. Our tour guide was also an archaeologist and was quite knowledgeable and provided excellent information. Like all the tours so far, there were many busses and the area was quite crowded. You will notice empty streets in this mornings photos - they were the ones that most tour guides ignored. I enjoyed the tour of the ancient Roman city but was disappointed that I couldn't get photos of all the plaster casts including one of a dog that I could barely see because of the numbers of people. Luckily we were there fairly early in the morning. I have a feeling that later tours would be even more crowded. If I were to go there again, I would like a longer tour and see the insides of some of the buildings.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...