Friday, August 19, 2011

Ravenna 2













Ravenna 2 - Doors

As most people who follow my Photo of the Day know, Doors is a common theme in my photography. I have been photographing doors for many years and have quite a few images in my collection. If you like tis subject, feel free to search for other images in my Photo of the Day Blog which I started in the summer of 2006.

Europe was a "doors photographer's" dream and I certainly made many images of interesting doors during my travels. In Ravenna our tour took us inside a very old church dating back to the 6th century. I photographed the beautiful mosaics and paintings inside the church as well as a few shots looking out through a door. Knowing that the bright light coming through the door would cause the inside to be very dark, I focused on the outside so it would be properly exposed. I saw a person walking towards the door so I waited until he passed by because I thought a person would add interest to the photograph. Next I made a series of images placing the door in different locations in order to compare the images later. Each of the three images above show the same subject, but because I moved the camera and zoomed in, they are all different. Feel free to comment on which you prefer.

Later, as our tour group walked beneath a Roman Arch in the city, I used the same technique. I was standing in the shadow of the arch and metered for the much brighter background causing the arch to be a silhouetted. The people look like "shadows" walking into the light.

The other images today show a few more of the interesting doors I photographed in Ravenna. Someone once asked why I liked photographing doors and how I chose which one to photograph. Sometimes it is the colour or shape, others it is the lighting or something different about the door. If it catches my attention and I like it, I make the image. Many people like my photographs of doors and I continue to make photographs of them everywhere I go.

The last two photos were taken at Dante's tomb. Dante was one of the most famous Italian poets of the Middle Ages and is buried in Ravenna.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

People

People It's been a while since I shared photos of people going about their daily activities, but I'll add more photos to my People 4...