Thursday, August 11, 2011

Venice 10















Venice 10

The Grand Canal is one of the main waterways in Venice. At 3.8 km (2.4 miles), it winds its way through the city of Venice. It is serviced by water taxis, water busses, private boats, and gondolas. There are 171 buildings dating back to the 13th century along the Grand Canal. As I walked the streets I would occasionally get glimpses of the buildings and made several images.

The first photo was taken at the entrance to the canal. I was a little disappointed that there were so many poles in the way but decided to make the photo anyway because it shows the way it really is. In other areas, I was able to shoot between the poles. There are only four bridges across the Grand Canal and I made photos from two of them.

The second image shows the Rialto Bridge, built in 1521, which was a replacement of the wooden bridge originally built in 1255. This is a famous bridge with shops all across the length of it. The other photos show views of some of the historical buildings along the Grand Canal. If you check my Blog this morning you will also see lots of boats along the canal including one image of a water bus full of people.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...