Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Burin Peninsula 21









Burin Peninsula 21

The first photo this morning is a monument dedicated to the memory of the twenty-seven residents of the Burin Peninsula who lost their lives in the tidal wave disaster on November 18, 1929. It was caused by a 7.2 magnitude earthquake centred around 250 miles south of Newfoundland. The tsunami hit other communities along the south coast of the island of Newfoundland as well. You can read more about this rare event at: http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/histor/20th-eme/1929/1929-eng.php.

The second photo was also taken in the Burin/Marystown area and is the last I'll share of that area for now. There are so many winding roads off the main road that it was difficult to identify where I was. I normally photograph signs as I enter each community, which makes it easy, but in that area I must have missed a few.

Wave Chopper, the yellow and green boat was photographed in Red Harbour. On October 14, I uploaded a different view of the same colourful boat taken with my other camera. When I saw this boat, I walked towards and around it making a few more images. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have see the interesting name on the small boat.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...