Saturday, November 19, 2011

Santa Maria in Vallicella 1










Santa Maria in Vallicella 1

Santa Maria in Vallicella, also known as Chiesa Nuova, was the third church we visited as we walked around Old Rome. This may have been the most ornate of the three I photographed so far that day. We still had a tour of two more churches coming up later.

Originally built in the12th century, this church was rebuilt in the late 1500s As you can see from the photos, there is a lot of artwork in this building as well. One person mentioned that it seemed like they were very religious back then and put the best of everything in their churches. I have to agree that they definitely put lots of relgious art into their churches. This practice certainly kept a lot of architects, painters, sculptors, stone masons, and other construction workers employed. In those days it took decades, sometimes a century or more to complete these large buildings. I am amazed they could actually complete all the work without the tools we have at our disposal these days.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...