Sunday, November 20, 2011

Santa Maria in Vallicella 2











Santa Maria in Vallicella 2

Today's photos show closer views of the amazing art in Chiesa Nuova, the third of five churches I photographed in Rome. As I said yesterday, this was probably the most ornate of the three I had photographed before the official tours. The three images I am sharing this morning were taken in a small chapel to the left of the alter.

The first photo shows the alter and beneath it lies the body of St. Philip Neri. who rebuilt the original church in the 1500s. I was surprised to see bodies in several of the churches I visited in Europe. If you look carefully at the sixth photo, you can see the body on display . The seventh and eighth images of the ceiling shows a beautiful painting surrounded by intricate designs.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...