Tuesday, November 22, 2011

St. Peter's Basilica 2










St. Peter's Basilica 2

This morning I am continuing the series of photos taken in St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. As I said yesterday as soon as I stepped inside the door and looked through the viewfinder, a security guard told me to move on and not to stop.

I included the photo of people for two reasons. First you will get an idea of the size of this church by comparing the height of the people in the background. Secondly, you can see what I was talking about when I said people walked in front of me, raised their cameras, or bumped into me.

The second photo shows (Mother Mary mourning her son) by Michelangelo and the third shows one of the many domes in the huge church. I shared this photo on July 25, 2012 as part of the Rome series I was sharing at the time.

As I looked at the artwork and intricate designs on the high ceilings I wondered about the artists who had to work at that height. They didn't have steel scaffolds like we have today and probably worked on wooden ones which may not have been as safe. As well as the safety issues, they didn't have the modern tools we have today, yet still created magnificent art that has survived more than 400 years.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...