Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Those Who Remember 1985








Those Who Remember 1985

When I was a young boy I remember attending Remembrance Day ceremonies with my father, and when I grew older I continued this tradition and attended ceremonies wherever I happened to be. Since my purchase of a 35 mm camera in 1970, I have photographed the veterans on parade. I did a black and white photo essay in 1981 entitled Those Who Remember. I chose that title because I included photographs of people attending the service including the Veterans and have used that title for every photo essay of Remembrance Day since then.

To honour our veterans I have shared many photos I've taken over the years and this year I would like to share photos taken in Holyrood on November 11, 1985. While these photos are of more interest to residents of Holyrood (the people in the photos are 26 years older and most of the veterans have passed). Those of you in other parts of the world can appreciate the photos of people who took the time to remember our veterans and the sacrifices they made for our freedom. You can also compare to the ceremonies in your own towns and cities.

While teaching at Mary Queen of Peace School in St. John's, I organized and implemented a project in which students maintained a project about our veterans and asked for stories about them. Feel free to check the site at: http://www.mqp.k12.nf.ca/html/legion/

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.


1 comment:

nadinebc said...

Really liked this entry- thanks.

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...