Thursday, April 26, 2012

Labadee 4
















Labadee 4

Thanks for the positive comments on yesterday's photos of the people who participated in the Haitian Cultural Tour.

The first photo this morning shows a fruit that looks like a variety of banana, but I am not exactly sure what it is. The second is a pineapple growing in a small clearing the forest. You can check out images of other plants and flowers on my Blog this morning.

There was a demonstration of the type of dwelling a typical Haitian family lived in and it was partially constructed to show how it was built. Again, there are several photos on my Blog if you would like to see more.

It is hard for me to imagine a whole family living in a house that is smaller than my bedroom, but at least the weather was warm, food grew wild around them and there were plenty of fish in the warm waters of the ocean. They knew which plants could be used to help cure many ailments and how best to prepare them.

They lived much different lives than the Europeans who were determined to eke out an existence in this part of the world where the winters were long and harsh, summers were short and food seemed to be much harder to come by. There were lots of fish but the North Atlantic was cold and cruel. Fortunately, trees which were used for building shelters and providing heat were plentiful as well as wild game that helped sustain them. If you would like to see photos of the type of dwellings from the past around Newfoundland, you can check them at my web site of the Random Passage Movie Set at: http://www.lanephotography.com/random_passage/random_passage.htm


Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...