Monday, June 04, 2012

Humpback Whales 1











Humpback Whales 1

Today I am beginning a new Whales Series. Several species of whales can be found all around Newfoundland and Labrador during the summer months, but humpback whales seem to put on the most dramatic shows for whale watchers. I've been on several tour boats over the years and realize that everyone gets excited when they see a whale, especially when it's tail is visible during a dive, when it slaps the water with their fins and/or when it jumps totally out of the water.

The first photo, taken near Battle Harbour, Labrador where two whales swam near the boat. I managed to make a few images of their tales as the swam away. The other images were made near Witless Bay on the Avalon Peninsula where I photographed two whales, a mother and calf, that put on a dramatic show for those of us lucky enough to be there.

One whale was slapping its tail on the water over and over and I was able to make a few images of this behaviour. Another was slapping its pectoral fin on the water, again repeating the action over and over. It was pretty easy to get photos of these actions because the whales stayed in the same place and repeated the actions.


 Photos of the Day are for sale as:
 

No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...