Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Humpback Whales 3











Humpback Whales 3

The first photo this morning should give you a feeling of motion as the whale slapped its tail on the surface. It was both interesting and exciting to see it slapping its tail over and over making huge splashes. I am not sure why humpback whales do this.

The second shows one of the whales tails as it dove beneath the surface. Photos of whale tails are used to identify individual animals since no two tails have the same markings.

The third photo was taken a couple of weeks previously in the same area near Witless Bay. My son, Mark and I took a whale tour in the late evening and the rest of the images in this series were taken during that tour.



 Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...