Saturday, March 16, 2013

Active People 5











Active People 5

Today I plan to finish the present series on Active People and move on, however, I will continue it at a later date. Most of the photos I've shared over the past two weeks were scanned from slides taken prior to 2001 and only a few were taken since I "went digital" that year. I am not sure how many of the people on my email version of Photo of the Day check my daily Blog but today you will find the last eleven photos in this series if you check it today.

Scuba divers seem to like Holyrood Harbour because I see them here very often.  I photographed a couple as they started a dive in the cold ocean in one spring in the early 80s.

One spring in the mid 80s, while I was teaching in Whitbourne, we had a Walkathon to raise money for the school. I walked the streets of the town with my class and took photos along the way. I made a couple of photos of a young boy in a wheelchair who went the entire distance on his own, even over a rough gravel road.

In the mid 80s, I photographed a young mother in Holyrood Swimming Park who was teaching her infant to swim. I taught my boys how to swim very early, but not that young. I was amazed that when she let the baby go, it floated effortlessly in the water.

I photographed a group of sea kayakers who were getting ready to venture out the harbour in Trinity. I have photographed many people involved in this activity and have often wondered what it is like. It looks like fun but I have never tried it.

The teenagers rowing boats were participating in races at the Holyrood Squid Festival in the summer of 1995.  Sailboats in the background were also getting ready for a race out the harbour and back.

Other photos this morning show kids playing outside which gives them the opportunity to exercise.  The spontaneous soccer game was photographed in Bowring Park in St. John's in the summer of 1981.

As a result of this series, I am planning to create new web sites showing people involved in the various types of activities that I've photographed over the past 43 years. It will take a while but I'll let you know when I get them completed.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...