Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Winter Activities









Winter Activities

Today's photos show people participating in outside winter activities.  The first shows a couple of cross-country skiers heading across the barrens on the Witless Bay Line.  I included two photos of a person skiing down the slopes at Marble Mountain which is located on Newfoundland's west coast. I liked the black and white image better, but thought you might like to see the difference.

The kid jumping a ramp on a hill behind the Central Newfoundland Hospital was caught in mid-air just before he crashed into the snow.  This photo was taken in the late 70's when it was a popular place for sliding.

The next three were taken in Holyrood in the late 80s. I think it may have been the last time the harbour froze over that much. To be honest, I watched the people for quite a while because I didn't think it was very safe to be on that ice.

After the railway line was torn up in Holyrood, many people, including this cross-country skier, took advantage of the old rail bed to participate in outdoor activities. This photo was taken before the town built a boardwalk along the length of the beach which,  previous to the storm surge during our big blizzard in January, was used a lot by both residents and visitors in all seasons.

I photographed my oldest son Mark as he followed my snowshoe trail in the woods behind my house. This photo was taken in the late 80s. Getting outside in winter was always fun for me - it still is!

Photos of the Day are for sale as:





No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...