Saturday, April 13, 2013

Holyrood Lake







 

Holyrood Lake

On March 31, I took a late evening hike to Main Beach Pond, a lake along the trails I walk frequently. As you can see from the photos, there was still a little snow in the forest and some ice on the lake. I took along my Nikon P500 and was able to capture the still waters of the lake with the mountains in the background.

It was a beautiful, clear evening and it was so quiet and peaceful there that I lingered a while, taking in the sounds of silence and the beauty of the place. I've been up there six times since then, but the weather hasn't been as good and I haven't taken any photos. I can tell you that the snow is just about gone and there is no ice on the lake.

There has been a lot of damage in the forest as a result of the hurricane last fall and several winter storms with very high winds. One part of my main trail is no longer passable because of numerous fallen trees - too many to count. There are also other places where I have to walk around trees that have fallen across the trail. That makes my hikes a little more difficult. As well debris dammed one of the brooks and changed it's direction of flow, flooding the trail. I moved enough of the debris to allow it to flow along it's original path, and am hoping the trail will dry a bit as the weather improves.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...