Saturday, July 27, 2013

Garden







Garden

Yesterday I made a few photographs of my vegetable garden and thought I'd share a few with you today.

In case you don't remember, when I built my house in 2007, they had to fill an area around 60 feet square for my septic field.  For what seemed like weeks, they dumped truckloads of fill until the whole area had 6 feet of rock.  There they built a septic field and covered in the distribution lines. with crushed rock and then covered the whole area with fill that was mostly rock. 

Since then I have been adding soil and compost and now have 3 large strawberry gardens, and 10 vegetable plots.  This year I planted potatoes, carrots, lettuce, parsley, basil and cucumber.  As you can see, the potatoes and carrots are doing very well.  Only 1 cucumber sprouted so I planted a few more seeds and I think they have germinated.  Not much lettuce is growing and only a couple of parsley plants.  I think I saw 3 or 4 tiny basil plants yesterday, but they may be weeds.  There are lots of snowshoe hare around here this year and that may be the reason my lettuce has been disappearing.

You will  notice the yellow flowers (golden marguerites) growing along the edge of the garden and a few in the spaces between the raised beds.  These are all growing wild from 1 plant my wife purchased a few years ago.  You will also notice that there are potatoes growing among the carrots.  They are from tiny potatoes that I must have left in the ground last fall.


Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...