Sunday, September 08, 2013

Plants










Plants

Last week I spent a few minutes making photos in my yard during the late-evening light.  Over the next three days I will share a few of the photos of the plants and flowers.
This year I purchased petunias instead of wave petunias and I have to admit that they were not as suitable for the flower pots on my deck.  They grew taller and were not as prolific as the wave petunias we've had in past years.  The flowers were as beautiful, there just weren't as many of them.

Earlier in the spring I saved, dried and planted seeds from some delicious small tomatoes we had purchased at Costco.  A few people said they wouldn't grow so I was surprised when the seedlings poked their fragile stalks through the soil.  I watered them regularly and by the time they were ready to transplant I had 5 small plants.  A cold snap took 2 of them and something (probably the wind) cracked off another.  All three surviving plants are producing tomatoes, but since the nights are getting cooler now, I have moved them to a friend's greenhouse where I am hoping that the fruit will ripen.


As usual, the nasturtiums all around the yard add beautiful yellows and oranges.  Each year I collect nasturtium seeds and plant then in Spring. I really like them because they add beauty to the yard and require little care.

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...