Friday, March 14, 2014

Masked Booby










Seabird - Masked Booby

Today's photos were taken on November 4, 2013 in the open sea while aboard the Liberty of the Seas about a day from St. Maarten in the Caribbean.  I first saw two large birds circling the ship while I was taking my daily 4 mile walk around Deck 12 of the ship.  They were the first birds I had seen since leaving Spain and I was surprised to see birds so far from land. 

When I finished my walk the birds were still circling the ship so I went to my room for my camera.  By the time I got back to the top of the ship the birds were nowhere to be seen, but a few minutes later both birds appeared again.  I made a few photos of them before they flew away from the ship and landed on the water.


After checking my bird identification books, I think they are immature masked boobies.  I know several of you are birders, and while I don't consider myself a birder, I do enjoy photographing birds that I haven't seen before.  As well, because I photograph and later identify them, I have learned to identify many species of birds by sight, and several by sound.

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...