Friday, August 29, 2014

Holyrood 14
















Holyrood 14

I've decided to end the Holyrood Series after 2 weeks.  I wanted to share photos that will give people an idea of Holyrood and surrounding area.  The harbour, people, boats, rivers, waterfalls, houses, and George Cove Mountain have been subjects and today I am sharing a few photos of the old graveyard on Kennedy's Road.

I've photographed many old headstones in this and other graveyards in the area and some date back to the late 1800's.  I find it interesting to read the headstones, especially the older ones.  Some have colour added to graphics, others have fallen down and are broken, and some have statues.  But what I find interesting is reading the information on the old headstones.  For example, in one St. John's cemetery I saw a lot of young children's graves all together and they died the same year.  Why would there be so many children around the same time?  What disease was circulating a hundred years ago? 


If you are interested in seeing more photos of graveyards, let me know and I'll share more later in the year.

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.
Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...