Sunday, June 26, 2016

Spring 4





Spring 4
 
Today I thought I would show you a new flower garden I built this year.  It is located near the back of my house just behind my healthy gooseberry shrub.  Last summer, the gooseberry was being crowded out by wild plants (buttercups, meadowsweet, wild roses and others) so I decided to weed it thoroughly.  I know there was an old stump there because my brother-in-law cut it down 5 or 6 years ago.  I thought it would be rotted enough to remove, however when I had everything weeded, I realized the roots of the mountain ash tree were growing all around the old stump. 
 
Rather than ignore and let all the weeds grow back, I decided to convert the whole thing to a flower garden.  Then I needed quite a bit of soil to fill it so I started digging around the roots of an old deadfall across my brook and into the woods  around 100 feet (30 m)  from my back door.  Unfortunately the trail isn’t suitable for a wheelbarrow so I shovelled the soil into buckets and carried them to the new garden 2 at a time.  After around 60 bucket loads, I decided to sift the soil so the top layer would be free of rocks. 
 
I left it all fall and winter and in April I added 4 wheelbarrows of sifted compost and mixed it before transplanting a hosta from another part of the yard.  Then I decided to move my rhubarb to the new garden.  A friend gave me a piece of root 3 years ago and it had struggled where it was originally planted.  However, it seems to like its new location

 
Comments are welcome!

Feel free to share with family and friends.



You can view more of my photos on my web site and Facebook Pages:

No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...